There are two kinds of people: those who have breakfast and those who don’t. Thinking along the same line: there are those who prefer salty things for breakfast and there is me, who don’t. I can’t possibly imagine myself eating bacon and eggs for breakfast. I open my eyes and the first thing that comes into my mind (right after coffee) is that I must eat something SWEET. There is only one thing that’s even better: granola. It’s basically sweet but it has a touch of salty taste to it. It is super delicious!!! I love salty caramel, my favourite ice cream is pistachio and I know it may sound bizarre but I even put a bit of salt into my cocoa. I am convinced that a touch of salt is good for all kinds of food, much like a pinch of cinnamon.
Another advantage of this homemade granola is that it is made of nothing but seeds. There is no grain in it so – with a little seed milk – it is a perfect treat for both paleo people and those with gluten sensitivity. As a kid I was fond of cereals and muesli but it is even better than any of those. I love its crunchy texture (somewhat subdued by two hours of cooking), its sweet-salty taste and that fact that it’s homemade (by me). And on the top of all that it can be used to make other sweets – I will share the recipes soon.
- 70 g coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 600 g almonds hazelnuts, pecan nuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds mixed
- 60 g shredded coconut
- ½ cup granulated Swerve sweetener or any other kind
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
1. Set the Crock Pot to high temperature and melt the coconut oil.
2. Add the vanilla extract and the sweetener and stir until homogenous.
3. Add the mixed seeds and stir until the seeds are all covered by the liquid.
4. Add the cinnamon and the salt and stir.
5. Cook it for two hours. Stir every half an hour.
6. Pour the granola into a pan and let it cool and dry for a while.
7. Keep it in a jar with a lid.