There are two kinds of people: those who have breakfast and those who don’t. Thinking along the same line: there are those who prefer salty things for breakfast and there is me, who don’t. I can’t possibly imagine myself eating bacon and eggs for breakfast. I open my eyes and the first thing that comes into my mind (right after coffee) is that I must eat something SWEET. There is only one thing that’s even better: granola. It’s basically sweet but it has a touch of salty taste to it. It is super delicious!!! I love salty caramel, my favourite ice cream is pistachio and I know it may sound bizarre but I even put a bit of salt into my cocoa. I am convinced that a touch of salt is good for all kinds of food, much like a pinch of cinnamon.
Another advantage of this homemade granola is that it is made of nothing but seeds. There is no grain in it so – with a little seed milk – it is a perfect treat for both paleo people and those with gluten sensitivity. As a kid I was fond of cereals and muesli but it is even better than any of those. I love its crunchy texture (somewhat subdued by two hours of cooking), its sweet-salty taste and that fact that it’s homemade (by me). And on the top of all that it can be used to make other sweets – I will share the recipes soon.
- 70 g coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 600 g almonds hazelnuts, pecan nuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds mixed
- 60 g shredded coconut
- ½ cup granulated Swerve sweetener or any other kind
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1. Set the Crock Pot to high temperature and melt the coconut oil.
- 2. Add the vanilla extract and the sweetener and stir until homogenous.
- 3. Add the mixed seeds and stir until the seeds are all covered by the liquid.
- 4. Add the cinnamon and the salt and stir.
- 5. Cook it for two hours. Stir every half an hour.
- 6. Pour the granola into a pan and let it cool and dry for a while.
- 7. Keep it in a jar with a lid.