It may sound funny but for a long while I haven’t been able to understand why a sane person would eat avocados. It has no smell and even less taste. My first encounter with it was back in my childhood through the cartoon Itsy Bitsy Spider in which the hero’s favorite treat was avocado ice cream. I only knew so much that it was some kind of vegetable but I had no idea how it could be turned into something sweet and delicious. Anyway, I’ve hated spiders all my life so I thought avocados belonged to the realm of imagination, much like Itsy Bitsy. But when I first got involved in paleo diet it turned out to be among the ingredients of so many recipes, that I decided to try it and it instantly changed all my prejudices.
Avocados can be used to make a pretty decent chocolate pudding. At first it sounded kind of bizarre but after a brownie made of zucchini or black beans hardly anything could surprise me. When I first made it for my friends I hadn’t told them what they were served and when I did in the end, they didn’t seem to mind at all. Maybe it’s only me and my prejudices against food for imaginary spiders…
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbs rice syrup
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- a pinch of salt
- Chocolate filling
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup low-fat cocoa powder
- ½ cup Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat the oven to 120°C/250°F and grease a pan with coconut oil.
- 2. Process the shredded coconut, the coconut flour and the salt in a blender for 1-2 minutes, add the rice syrup and the coconut oil and process again until smooth.
- 3. Squeeze the crumble into a cake pan so that it has a rim. You can use your fists to make it even firmer and if you find it too dry you can also spray it with some coconut oil. Bake it for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. While the cake is cooling, prepare the filling. Process the avocado in a blender, add all ingredients and process for another 2 minutes. Pour the filling on the cake and let it rest in the fridge for an hour.
- 5. Before serving decorate it with raspberries or whatever you like.